“The ‘new normal’ of tougher budget times is here to stay for American K-12 education. So how can local officials cope?” The Thomas B. Fordham Institute has a new policy brief designed to help. Quick fixes and cutting teacher salaries won’t help, says How School Districts Can Stretch the School Dollar author Michael J. Petrilli.
Top three DOs include:
- Aiming for a leaner, more productive, better paid workforce;
- Paying for productivity; and
- Integrating technology thoughtfully.
Top DON’Ts to avoid:
- Shrinking the workforce by laying off the newest teachers;
- Narrowing the curriculum;
- Furloughing workers;
- Shortchanging choice options; and
- Passing the buck to families.