Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) recently spoke with radio host Mark Levin about the food stamp “surge.” As CNSnews reported:

Sen. Sessions explained that the funding for this program came from a “farm bill” in 2002, which allocated $800 billion over 10 years for the entire US food stamp program – meaning that 80 percent of this trillion dollar “farm bill” program is spend on food stamps, leaving only 20 percent to go to farmers.

Sessions also noted that the requirement, which allowed only US citizens to acquire food stamps, was eliminated in 2002, under President George Bush. …“In ’96, they said you could not get food stamps unless you were a citizen. In…2002, that was changed…By the way, the farm bill costs a trillion dollars over ten years. 800 billion of it, 80 percent, is food stamps. Only 20 percent goes to the farmers directly. This food stamps program has surged beyond anything anybody ever expected…One in seven Americans today – one in seven – are benefiting from this program.”

Levin: “800 billion over 10 years for the food stamps program?”

Sessions: “That’s exactly – that’s correct. It’s almost 80 billion a year now. 17 [billion] in 2000.”

Levin: “Look, I – senator, I don’t understand how in 2002, with a Republican President, how we lift the citizenship requirement and now nationals from other countries qualify for food stamps. This is how these programs go nuts.”

And, how American taxpayers go broke.