Here's who was responsible for the Orlando massacre on Saturday: The National Rifle Association!
How do I know this? Because all the media pundits say so!
Here's a list of links provided by Instapundit blogger Ed Driscoll:
- Tom Brokaw: ‘In this County,’ ‘Everything Seems to Get Settled by a Gun.’
- ABC Blames Orlando Terror on Election Rhetoric and Guns in America
- AP Calls Orlando Terrorist Massacre ‘Just the Latest Mass Shooting’
- Media Matters: “The NRA made anti-LGBT attacks during their annual meeting just weeks ago.”
- Yahoo: “Bernie Sanders Just Nailed the Real Culprit Behind the Mass Shooting in Orlando…Sanders explained to Chuck Todd on NBC’s Meet the Press Sunday, the real culprit, according to Sanders, is gun control — or more precisely, lack thereof.”
- Kansas City Star Editorial Writer Yael T. Abouhalkah: “Dear God: Today I am so sickened by the evilness of the NRA and gun industry. May their leaders be plunged into ever-lasting hell. Amen.”
- Jeffrey Goldberg: “Obama cautious on motive of shooter because caution is required until the investigation advances.”
Well, Jeffrey, the "investigation" has "advanced." Here are some of the results, as reported by TMZ:
There are now reports Omar Mateen called 911 and pledged his allegiance to ISIS before carrying out the deadly shooting. He also mentioned the Boston Marathon bombing.
ISIS is taking credit for the attack, saying, "a soldier of the Islamic State has carried out the attack."
Mateen first came to the attention of the FBI in 2013, said Central Florida Special Agent in Charge Ron Hopper.
After Mateen made inflammatory remarks to co-workers and claimed to have terrorist ties, agents interviewed him and other witnesses, then closed the file after determining that he had broken no laws.
He came to the FBI's attention again the following year after he made contact with an American who later died in a suicide bombing in Syria, officials said. The agency closed that investigation, concluding that the contact was minimal.
Nice work, FBI!
The Sentinel further reports:
Mateen was believed to have been born in New York state to parents originally from Afghanistan….
Two months ago, his father, Seddique Mateen, set up a nonprofit called "Provisional Government of Afghanistan" in a nearby building.
His father also hosts a television show and in a segment available on YouTube, expressed "gratitude toward the Afghan Taliban and described Taliban fighters as "our brothers," according to The Washington Post.
But, hey, the media–and also President Obama–says it's all the fault of inadequate gun control in America. Here's a quote from the transcript of Obama's speech on Sunday:
The shooter was apparently armed with a handgun and a powerful assault rifle. This massacre is, therefore, a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, or in a house of worship, or a movie theater, or in a nightclub. And we have to decide if that's the kind of country we want to be. And to actively do nothing is a decision as well.
Actually, Mateen, who worked as a security guard, according to the Wall Street Journal, had a gun license under Florida law, which requires firearms training and a background check for criminal convictions (Mateen had none):
State law allows Floridians with concealed-carry licenses to wear their firearms in most places, but guns are barred from schools, college campuses, courthouses, government buildings and establishments that serve alcohol as their main purpose, according to gun-law experts. Florida law bar civilians from carrying rifles in public, except to convey them in their cars to hunts, gun ranges and shooting-sports events.
It is unclear whether Pulse, the Orlando nightclub, allowed its patrons to carry concealed weapons. Gun-rights activists in the past have argued that so-called “gun-free” zones, in which weapons are banned, become soft targets for those with intent to kill.
But according to the media and our president, those Florida laws just aren't tough enough. If only Americans were forbidden to own guns altogether! Then we wouldn't have the terrorist-friend son of a Taliban sympathizer shouting, "Allah-hu-Akbar!" as he murders 50 patrons of a gay bar. No way!