We know their names and shop their aisles all year long.
However, unprecedented measures to keep people safe from spreading COVID-19 has prompted many retailers to shut their doors.
Beyond Americans with cabin-fever being unable to stretch their legs by browsing the latest Spring fashions or testing fitness and outdoor equipment. Workers are forced to stay at home potentially unpaid and stores will lose revenue.
The good news is that many retailers are offering to keep a paycheck in their workers hands despite their closures.
Here are 15 mall store brands that will pay their workers despite closing their doors:
- Bath & Body Works
- Ann Taylor – Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Outlet, LOFT, and LOFT Outlet stores
- Macy’s – includes Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, Bluemercury, Macy’s Backstage, Bloomingdales the Outlet and Market by Macy’s stores
- Ulta Beauty
- Urban Outfitters – includes
- Abercrombie & Fitch – includes Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister stores
- Nordstrom – includes Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Trunk Club clubhouses and Jeffrey stores.
- Gap – includes Gap, Old Navy, Athleta stores
- Under Armour
Many other retailers are also offering to pay workers despite closures.
The retail industry employs about 4.8 million people nationwide according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Short-term closures due to natural disasters can be devastating for these workers.
Not every employer can afford to pay workers during closures and may furlough or lay them off.
Charities and nonprofits are working to offer help and the federal government is working on economic relief to allay some of the expected hardship ahead.
However, it’s a heartening sign when employers who temporarily shut down operations are willing to keep their workers and continue paying them. That ensures that these workers can continue to pay for their rent or mortgage, feed their families, stay on top of bills, and not worry about looking for work after stores reopen.
We are in this together and will get through this together.
Have you seen friends, neighbors, celebrities, companies, or organizations step up to help? IWF is highlighting heroes during this crisis. Share those stories here.