If you’re craving a morning treat and coronavirus quarantine is keeping you away from your favorite donut shop, try these: My Great Grandma Margaret’s apple fritters. They’re very versatile. This recipe below is for the apple version but you can eat them plain, add in different kinds of fruit (pears, peaches, and strawberries work well), or add in a few chopped nuts. Serve them with maple syrup or as I do, with a little powdered sugar sprinkled on top.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup pancake mix (I use Krusteaz brand)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 apple, sliced into small chunks (about half inch). Time saver: No need to peel the apple.
- Powdered sugar for dusting finished fritters
- Sift flour and pancake mix into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and milk together.
- Add the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add in apple pieces and mix well.
- Drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes (you may want to lower your heat once the oil gets screaming hot).
- Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Tip 1: Make sure they are no bigger than a tablespoon. Much bigger and they will be raw in the middle. Test a few at first to make sure they’re cooked (you can eat the early ones!).
Tip 2: To test if the oil is hot enough, put the end of a wooden spoon in the oil. When you see bubbles, it’s ready.