America’s Humiliation in Afghanistan Sends a Signal of Weakness and Bad Faith
- President Biden can boast that he ended U.S. military engagement in Afghanistan, but he did so at immense human cost to Afghans who had placed their trust in America.
- Biden talks a lot about rallying America’s democratic allies, but he failed to consult with allied forces who still had some 7,500 of their own service members in the country — forcing a scramble to get them out.
- Biden’s helter-skelter withdrawal turned into a degradation of America’s global standing, in effect a surrender.
Hostile Regimes Are Taking Stock of Their Own Opportunities
- China, above all, has been gloating over America’s defeat and eyeing its next potential conquests.
- Risk has soared that China might soon try to seize Taiwan. This would annihilate Taiwan’s pro-U.S. democracy, expand Beijing’s threat to vital shipping lanes, and potentially spark a major war in Asia.
- The Chinese Communist Party’s Global Times even spelled it out, saying: “U.S. will abandon Taiwan in a crisis.”
The Biden Administration Has Tried To Duck Responsibility
- As Afghanistan fell to the Taliban, Biden and his team went on a blitz of misinformation, disinformation, evasions and outright lies.
- While Biden says he has ended America’s “forever war” in Afghanistan, and tries to change the subject to COVID-19, climate and blowout spending, the catastrophe in Afghanistan has set the stage for big trouble ahead.
- Clawing back America’s credibility, global standing and vital powers of deterrence is going to need depth of vision and strength of will on a scale to date not visible in the Biden White House.
Click here to read the full policy focus and learn more about the debacle in Afghanistan.