On Equal Pay Day, feminist activists on the left and the mainstream media peddle a false narrative of gender-based victimhood in the workplace. They cite the statistic that women earn about 82 cents — give or take — on every dollar that men earn on average as evidence of rampant discrimination. Their solution is to pass federal legislation that will add new regulations on employers that could backfire on women. Spoiler alert: gender discrimination is already illegal. Their favored proposals will add no new protections for women.
Every woman should be skeptical of the oft-cited wage gap data point because it’s misleading. There are many factors within the control of each woman that contribute to the overall pay gap. Join us as we will explain those factors, why some proposed policy solutions are ill-advised, and how women can earn the benefits that they desire.
Watch the recording:
- Policy Focus: Equal Pay Every Day
- Takeaways: Equal Pay Day Every Day
- Working for Women Report
- COVID Pandemic “Shecession”
- 3 Things To Know On Equal Pay Day
- Glassdoor: The Pipeline Problem: How College Majors Contribute to the Gender Pay Gap
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Highlights of Women’s Earnings in 2020: BLS Reports
- Institute for Women’s Policy Research: Report on COVID and the Wage Gap
- CNN: White House will announce steps aimed at closing gender and racial wage gaps