Director of Foundations
Independent Women’s Forum – Virtual Office
The Independent Women’s Forum’s mission is to improve the lives of Americans by increasing the number of women who value free markets and personal liberty. IWF is the thought leader on the Right showing women how free-market principles help them and their families and explaining how big government policies backfire on women and American society.
IWF accomplishes this by enlisting engaging, liberty-minded women to write and speak on behalf of our principles. And IWF excels in terms of generating media—an IWF spokeswoman is on national television and radio nearly every day— so that we are always bringing a new perspective; and IWF engages a robust social media network of more than 100,000 followers. But we do much more: We conduct sophisticated social science research, write timely commentary, develop sharable visuals and videos, host debates and policy forums, and create other educational materials such as policy papers, fact sheets, and quizzes.
IWF’s work is especially critical right now as the “Woman-as-Victim” mantra has taken hold as the mainstay of the left. Some thought perhaps the “War on Women” narrative had played its course, but this is simply not the case. Progressives, in fact, are doubling-down and shifting gears with its “War on Women” tactic by refocusing on women in the workplace. Specifically the progressive women’s economic agenda addresses three core issues – pay equity, mandated leave benefits, and childcare subsidies – which they are using to appeal to women.
The Director of Foundation Relationships develops and implements the fundraising plan for foundations around the country. Sometimes these are large, national foundations and sometimes they are small, family-run operations. In both cases, the Director is responsible for developing long-term philanthropic relationships with these donors, managing any vendors, planning and coordinating strategic steps to reach financial goals related to foundations and direct mail.
The Director of Foundation Relationships reports to IWF’s Executive Director.
IWF operates as a virtual office. This saves us valuable resources and gives our employees greater flexibility. While we maintain regular working hours, our virtual office means IWF staff spends more time getting things done and less time sitting in traffic. Still we understand the importance of personal relationships, which is why we remain in constant daily communication, hold weekly staff calls, and host frequent in-person meetings.
- Establish fundraising goals and a fundraising plan for foundations and direct mail
- Work with Executive Director and Managing Director as well other staff members to develop the best donor strategies for relationship-building and gift solicitation
- Develop, execute and monitor direct mail and prospecting program
- Monitor and measure the effectiveness of solicitations (both verbal and written)
- Grant writing and reporting when necessary
- Oversee a master communication calendar and track current, future and pending solicitations (direct mail), relationship-building activity, and submitted grants.
- Ensure that all development systems operate efficiently and effectively
- There would be a moderate amount of travel in this job, including trips to visit foundations, as well as movement conferences and meeting
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- 2-3+ years of development experience
- Familiarity with the foundation world and the process involved with grant requests
- Exceptional organizational skills; a missed submission deadline is missed resources for the organization
- Support for IWF’s mission; high degree of comfort with talking about IWF and our view of modern feminism
Interested candidates should submit the following materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing salary expectations and an explanation of the applicant’s philosophical interest in the mission of the organization
- Email materials in one PDF document to Carrie Lukas at [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.